Sunday, November 28, 2010

Timing

I've been watching Sex and the City recently and there was an episode about timing. Carrie asks the question with two answers, is timing everything? It made me really evaluate where I am in life. Timing-wise, I'm about at the point where I choose a career, settle down in a new place, re-create the friendships I've spent 3 1/2 years perfecting, and begin the progression toward adulthood. Reality-wise I've changed my major four times, have three different life paths I might like to pursue, live in an apartment fully furnished with a twin bed and have no better handle on my future than I do on controlling the post-Thanksgiving break traffic back into Gainesville. This last year has been all about timing--being in the right place at the right time, and finding the right things at the wrong time. Discovering the UF offered an interdisciplinary major that exactly suited what I was interested in, 2 years too late to do anything about it. Putting off pursuing a business minor until my last two semesters, making them much more intensive than I needed for a senior year. Creating the perfect summer groups of friends, turning 21, and then leaving it all behind to pursue that other important part of my life, being a life-changer. Being the right person for someone who is so wrong for you. Mentally feeling ready to leap forward, but being impeded by societal beliefs about age and experience.

My personality psychology professor mentioned the other day that the most important factor in deciding to build a relationship with someone is propinquity. Is it more important than timing? Do we really have no soulmates, but simply reach out for the closest thing we can touch? Is it fate that I majored in Psychology, or was it simply because it was the only major at the school I happened to be at that held my interest? How do we make the large, life changing, soul shaking decisions we do, if really our decisions are simply based on what is around? Are we all just existing simultaneously in the same life, with the power to travel somewhere else and establish the exact same niche?

If life is all about timing, I think it's safe to say I'm stuck in a different time zone than my body...

***

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.”
-Stacey Charter

No comments:

Post a Comment