Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day 13-Goals

What an ironic day to land on as I sit here procrastinating the large pile of work sitting next to me.

Goals are interesting because the general ones linger, but the specific ones change on a fairly regular basis. I guess I'm about at a point where my goals are going to become my reality soon, or that is the ideal, but I don't know how to classify them.

I can say with certainty I have the general goal of making a difference in the world. At one point, I wanted it to be a measurable difference. But as I looked back on my recent volunteerism, I think it's safe to say I am well on my way to achieving this one, or possibly already have. In more specific terms, I would like to look back on my life and think that I have had a positive impact on the world. And while not really more specific, some ways I have thought this would play out were Doctors without Borders, pursuing public health policy, working for a non-profit, and most recently perhaps doing Americorps or the Peace Corps.

I know that it is my goal to see as much of this world as possible. This goal worries me the most, because the world is constantly changing and there is so much of it. I have the goal of visiting all 7 continents before I die, and all 50 states before I turn 50 (a goal my cousin and I set when we were younger). There are places all over Europe and Asia that I would like to visit, as well as several places in Africa. I purchased a copy of 1000 places to see before you die last year, and I was overwhelmed the moment I opened it. Many of the places will never be within my reach, and so at some point I will need to narrow this one down so that it becomes more attainable.

I would like to do a climb for cancer and scale the seven summits. Fortunately, these goals can be combined, as well as working towards my goal of reaching all 7 continents (by the way, I have 4 down). This goal is my highest reach (no pun intended), as I would have to overcome several obstacles to do so. The first, unfortunately, is financial. These climbs are not cheap, especially Everest, which costs around $60,000 for supplies and oxygen. The second, is the fact that I am nowhere near in shape for this, and am only getting older. Living 121 feet above sea level does not quite prepare someone for any part of this climb, and although I have found alternate routes for trying to train, it is not something I would be able to try for several years (see previous blog posts for more on this goal).

I want to have a library in my house. Think a la Beauty and the Beast. Filled to the top with all kinds of books; I have started this goal and am well on my way to finding books to stock it on a regular basis. The closest I have seen is this, in my friend's house a little south of here:


I want to be successful in all ways, happiness and financial stability included. I want to figure out where my niche is and reach it, in a job that is flexible with my need to climb mountains and see the world. I think it will take a couple tries to get there, and so I am very comfortable with the idea of multiple jobs. I'm just not sure where to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment