Sunday, January 24, 2010

Welcome to the Caribbean, love.

I am extremely ignorant of the geography about 90 miles south of the state I live in, but upon investigation of the many islands I had to choose from this one really made an impression on me today.



There are a lot of things I am apprehensive about. One thing that truly scares me and fascinates me at the same time is the ocean. Its beauty is nearly unparalleled, in my opinion. The fact that all life emerged from it, that it still holds more life than any other place on earth, and that it is more of the world than anything else, is overwhelming in ways that I cannot even articulate. But the idea that the water, which holds life in its own way, is crushing and capable of consuming a human in a single wave, is what makes this landscape scarier than anything else on this earth to me. I was reading a story about this island earlier, and the author was an avid diver. Diving is something that I have always thought would be amazing, but never something that I have easily been able to say, I would do that. I am perfectly content in the ocean on a boat and out of the water, but something about looking down into an abyss and not being able to see the whole way down...I just can't imagine being on the bottom of that and looking up at the water without a view of the sky.



But if I were ever to be able to dive, I would want to do it in the Caribbean.



Facts:
Second largest island in the Netherlands Antilles
Dutch is the official language, but another common language is Papiamento (a combination of Portuguese, African, Spanish, Dutch and English)
The island has NO traffic lights
Known for beaches and diving--huge wreck dive off the north
Reputation for some of the best restaurants in the caribbean



Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind. - Seneca

No comments:

Post a Comment