Monday, January 18, 2010

it all begins here...

So granted, this may defeat the entire purpose of my travel blog, but I feel like it would be wrong to start with anything other than the most special place on earth to me...exactly where I am.

Of the three places that have more importance to me than any other on this earth, I can honestly say that Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Florida brings about a spiritual, emotional, mental and life-changing experience more than any other place I have ever been. Yes, I will admit I am a diehard Gator fan. But in this place more than any other, I can just sit and be. Every time I give this tour stop I find myself tearing up. I study there, I run there, I just exist there, and most importantly, I celebrate the best Saturday afternoons of my life there every week of fall semesters. Ok, so it's corny, but if you get the chance, I'd highly recommend visiting one of top stadiums in college football sometime if you get the chance.






Gainesville itself is of course a place very dear to me as well. It is more of a community than anything else, and I am beyond proud to have grown up here.

Fun Facts:
Home to Florida's oldest and largest university
Home to Gatorade-invented at the University of Florida
Famous Residents: (past and present): Bo Didley, Tom Petty, Don Felder, Bernie Leadon, River Phoenix, Malcolm Gets, Harry Crews, Marty Liquori, Gabriel Schwartzman, Peter Taylor, Mary McCauley, Joe Haldeman, Bob Vila, Maya Rudolph, the members of Sister Hazel (Tom Petty went to my high school...Go Canes!)
Sister Cities: Novorossiisk, Russia (since 1982), Kfar Saba, Israel (since 1998), Qalqilya, Palestinian Territories (since 1998), Duhok, Kurdistan, Iraq (since 2006)
Was originally named Hogtowne

So I'm going home, back to the place where I belong, and where your love has always been enough for me. -Daughtry

No comments:

Post a Comment