Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I must admit, I've never been a fan of the mountains. But I'm not sure who could not be a fan of this...



The highest point on earth. I will admit that not that I've hit the lowest point, it only seems natural to want to achieve it's opposite. And by that I of course mean just seeing it, because with my altitude sickness I will never make it to the top of that.



That's the view from space. I'm still a little bit in awe.



Geographically this earth does some phenomenal things. I don't pretend to be an expert on plate tectonics or the formation of any great natural beauties of this earth, but I think it is fair to say that this can humble a person in much the same way that the Ramon Crater did to me in Israel. One thing that has always been breathtaking about mountains to me is how the same mountain can experience such different climates. Mountains come in every form from snow covered, green, black, glacial, or combinations of those. And they come in ranges. Very rarely do you see a single mountain standing in a landscape, yet so often when we are children that is how we depict them in our imagination. The Everest summit is not anything like I imagined it to be because it is the continuation of another mountain. Which, to put more of our gorgeous earth into perspective, unites us. Mount Everest was discovered by a trek through range after range measuring mountains. They had to cross countries, cultures and landscapes of all sorts to find this mountain that is part of a greater range that physically spans beyond our imagination.



Facts:
Formed about 60 million years ago
Elevation: 29,035 feet (8850 m)
Fastest ascent: around 16 hours
The mountain is known as the Third Goddess to the TIbetans who believe that the mountains in that area are goddesses who are protecting the earth from devils that destroyed the earth and the third goddess was the bravest, thus rendering her the tallest mountain.



I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list. - Susan Sontag


No comments:

Post a Comment