Sunday, February 7, 2010

Lazy days in the library

One of my goals in life has always been to have a library in my house. Somehow, I managed to travel to a city with a phenomenal library and absolutely miss out on it...



One of my favorite quotes is the one by St. Augustine that compares traveling to reading. I can honestly say that both subjects matter intensely to me, and I wouldn't be able to experience the world the way I do without them. However, recently I have found that I have neither the time nor the effort to engage in either, seeing as everything else I do sucks the life out of me. It is phenomenal the parallels between reading and traveling. In both ways you are seeing the world through someone else's eyes. Similarly, you are seeing someone else's world through your own eyes. All that you need to understand is given to you, yet at the same time all is left up to interpretation. You can become as involved as you want, and you can leave at any point returning to the world you know and understand. Each adventure has an opening and a closing, and can be revisited under different circumstances making you appreciate subtleties you may have missed the first (or second or fifth) time you visited. Different characters can have an impact on your life, and you may find that even though the place (or yourself) is a little worse for wear, the magic can still be found.

Today I wish I could waste away my day at the Kansas City Public Library



Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness. ~Ray Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment