Tuesday, December 28, 2010

challenge #2: living a cultured life

I have always loved books. And while I enjoy reading them, the joy of books to me lies in the actual physical objects themselves, not necessarily the stories. It is not a surprise that I have never wanted a Kindle, Nook, or iPad to enjoy these books on. While it is practical, convenient and probably the same cost, I have never liked reading on a computer or screen nearly as much as I have liked holding a book (although I did break down and put the free Kindle application on my computer and phone...just in case I'm stranded somewhere without a book).

Recently I have discovered a new section of the bookstore previously unvisited by me--the cookbook section. After a quick love affair with the Food Network began in August, I have collected 10 new cookbooks...and about 10 skill points toward the art of cooking. It is safe to say that I am one of the worst cooks in the world. Hands down. I have minor difficulty following a recipe, although can usually (with some help from my mom/roommate/fireman) make it through the recipe without any major slip-ups (such as this lovely concoction) and an edible dish.

So in an attempt to culture myself, I have decided that challenge #2 is going to experiencing the finer end of three things I hold close to my heart: books, food and alcohol.

1. Read for fun at least 20 minutes every day
Now this one seems weird, because in this blog I have mentioned books/libraries at least 10 times. But the problem with the semester is, I am forced to read so much for school, that I neglect reading for fun. I am either too tired of it, or I feel that if I have the time to read for fun I should be reading school work. This semester I think I managed to complete 5 books, which is about the number I've managed to complete this winter vacation. I used to read all the time, and I always enjoyed it. It just gets a little hectic every day when there are so many other things I need to be doing. So, in conjunction with actually getting my school work done, I am forcing myself to enjoy a 20 minute tidbit of a book every day this year. If it's more, well then more power to me (because my reading list keeps expanding), and if it's not more, then at least I will get 20 minutes a day to enjoy myself and not think about school.

2. Learn how to cook.
There is a big part of me that has denied the urge to learn to cook for years. However, sometimes I enjoy it. Or at least, I enjoy thinking about it. It's when it gets hectic and time consuming that I usually give up. I have managed to skate by on not knowing more than how to heat things up in the microwave due to the fact that as a member of a sorority I have meals provided to me twice a day and lived in the house where the most advanced appliance I was given access to was a George Foreman grill. But now I am about to depart for the unknown and I can't afford to live on Ramen for the rest of my life. I have been trying out some meals, and here are some of the most recent dishes I've prepared:

Neely's Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon and Potato Chips (a big hit)

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

Salmon with Mustard Potato Chip Crust from the New Best Recipe

3. Learn about alcohol
Between this and the title, it may appear that I do nothing else with my life but drink. That is not even close to true, but as I approach the end of the era in which liquor from a plastic bottle is appropriate, I have become fascinated with the different varieties and nicer forms of alcohol available. My dream would be to go to Italy and watch the entire process of making wine, but I will settle for working on creating the perfect drinks. Talk about a science--it took me several tries to concoct my perfect bloody marys, which are now a huge hit with my friends. I am currently working on the perfect martini, and I hope to one day be able to create drinks easily and with a supreme knowledge of what it is I am working with.

4. Blog about it
While not mentioned previously, a huge part of my enjoyment of this process is writing about it. I have always loved writing, and while I certainly have room to refine my style, I want it to continue to be a part of my life. I intend to start keeping a journal as well, much as I have every year, although this year with the help of the Happiness Project I will aim for one sentence a day...and go from there.

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when we have the same thoughts, but you blog about it first.

    ReplyDelete