Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 18-Something you regret

My college resume is dotted with things that I regret having not done in college. It would be difficult to show, as my resume looks full and complete, but it takes a true insider to be able to pick through what is there and what isn't.

The first mistake occurred when choosing a college. Don't get me wrong, there is no part of me that regrets going to UF. But the attitude that spawned that decision, one of indecision and lack of effort in pursuing the right school, is one that I am not proud of. The outcome happened to be one of the best things I have ever done, so I was lucky on that account.

The second major regret I have is not having lived in a dorm freshman year. Not only did I miss out on really being a freshman, but I lived so far away I missed out on most social gatherings and rarely went to class. Being that separate from the campus did not benefit me in any way.

Going into rush with a negative attitude, much like that of college, was another thing I regret. Again, the outcome was more than favorable, and I can't imagine myself anywhere else, but I wonder if it would have had an impact on my future in the chapter I'm in if I had gone in really wanting to be in a sorority.

I regret that I never attended a FL/GA game. Though this was a personal choice in my last two years, I wish that I had foreseen my involvement in the Speech and Debate tournament and gone my first two years. I don't regret a single moment about joining Speech and Debate, except perhaps that it didn't occur earlier, but I wish I had at some point made the effort to see the largest cocktail party.

I regret not having attended more school events. My Tradition Keepers book is lacking, and I am going to have to make a major push to fill it before the impending graduation occurs.

I regret never applying myself to one thing, but spreading myself out too thin. I sometimes have felt that I had to pick and choose where I would succeed and it is only through my eyes that you can see those places lacking.

Most importantly, as a spring graduate, I regret having no idea what I want to do with my life, and the feeling that I wasted four years in a meaningless major and that I might have to do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment